Supersize Option, Where does the space come from?

WinMFS Beta Release Support

Supersize Option, Where does the space come from?

Postby Guy Kuo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:05 pm

Where does the extra space come from when this option is turned on?

Can it be turned on and off after a drive has been MFS expanded or does one have to do it at initial creation of the drive structure?
Guy Kuo

Re: Supersize Option, Where does the space come from?

Postby spike » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:17 pm

Guy Kuo wrote:Where does the extra space come from when this option is turned on?

Can it be turned on and off after a drive has been MFS expanded or does one have to do it at initial creation of the drive structure?

It's freeing up extra reserved space used for storing tivoclips.

You can turn it on and off at any time by running mfssupersize utility but if you use mfstools to backup|restore, you will loose that ability.
If you want to use mfstools (not winmfs), turn it off before making a backup.

WinMFS backup, restore, mfscopy preserves this setting as well as cablecard settings.
spike
mfslive

Postby Guy Kuo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:57 pm

Thanks.
Guy Kuo

Postby nocturne1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:20 pm

spike wrote:It's freeing up extra reserved space used for storing tivoclips.

Tivoclips = the original introductory videos of how to use Tivo? Or is it reserved for the advertising videos that are downloaded/recorded?
nocturne1

Postby spike » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:25 pm

Tivoclips = the original introductory videos of how to use Tivo? Or is it reserved for the advertising videos that are downloaded/recorded?

latter
spike
mfslive

Postby familyrestaurantbomber » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:17 pm

spike wrote:

latter

So if you've supersized your drive, and you've recorded some shows into the reserved space, isn't there a possibility that Tivo could later overwrite your shows in that space with their advertising videos? Does the supersize option somehow turn off the automatic recording of advertising videos?
familyrestaurantbomber

Postby spike » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:30 pm

familyrestaurantbomber wrote:So if you've supersized your drive, and you've recorded some shows into the reserved space, isn't there a possibility that Tivo could later overwrite your shows in that space with their advertising videos? Does the supersize option somehow turn off the automatic recording of advertising videos?

"No" to all your questions.
spike
mfslive

Postby bkdtv » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:58 am

When you use supersize...what happens when Tivos attempts to download those promo videos on your box?
bkdtv

Postby aaronwt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:03 pm

spike wrote:
Guy Kuo wrote:Where does the extra space come from when this option is turned on?

It's freeing up extra reserved space used for storing tivoclips.

You can turn it on and off at any time by running mfssupersize utility but if you use mfstools to backup|restore, you will loose that ability.
If you want to use mfstools (not winmfs), turn it off before making a backup.

WinMFS backup, restore, mfscopy preserves this setting as well as cablecard settings.

So I have a 1 Terabte drive that went from 250GB to 500GB with the bumwine method, and 500 to 750GB with MFSLive and 750GB to 1000GB with MFSLive.
If I use winMFS to copy the 1000GB drive to another 1000GB drive can I enable the SuperSize option to increase the capacity? This is with an S3 model.
aaronwt

Postby spike » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:10 pm

aaronwt wrote:So I have a 1 Terabte drive that went from 250GB to 500GB with the bumwine method, and 500 to 750GB with MFSLive and 750GB to 1000GB with MFSLive.
If I use winMFS to copy the 1000GB drive to another 1000GB drive can I enable the SuperSize option to increase the capacity? This is with an S3 model.

You can turn it on / off at any time before, after, before copying, after copying as long as it's s2 or s3.
spike
mfslive

Postby aaronwt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 pm

Are there still problems with winMFS and series 3 boxes? I uesed winMFS with SUpersize last night to go froma 250GB stock drive to a 750GB drive. I just used the truncated backup and restore. It seemed fine last night. It installed the software update and even seemed fine this morning. But I just got home and it was stuck on the powering up screen. I had set it for a long recording, like 12+ hours, but apparently it rebooted after an hour and got stuck. It was fine with the 500GB drive with the Bumwine method and the stock 250GB drive, but anytime I use winMFS to go to the 750GB drive it has these powerup problems. I guess I need to just use the MFSLive CD and forget about the Supersize option
aaronwt

Postby spike » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:55 pm

aaronwt wrote:Are there still problems with winMFS and series 3 boxes? I uesed winMFS with SUpersize last night to go froma 250GB stock drive to a 750GB drive. I just used the truncated backup and restore. It seemed fine last night. It installed the software update and even seemed fine this morning. But I just got home and it was stuck on the powering up screen. I had set it for a long recording, like 12+ hours, but apparently it rebooted after an hour and got stuck. It was fine with the 500GB drive with the Bumwine method and the stock 250GB drive, but anytime I use winMFS to go to the 750GB drive it has these powerup problems. I guess I need to just use the MFSLive CD and forget about the Supersize option

You should use mfscopy. For the best result, mfscopy your current working drive and expand using mfsadd. Truncated backup and restore is for keeping a minimun copy for emergency situtations.

No one reported problems for S3 after Beta 2 release so far other than you.

"Getting stuck on the powering up" can be due to many factors including tivo software upgrade gone bad, hard drive problem, power outage etc. You will need to post more information like kernel log file from /var/log directory.
spike
mfslive

Postby stream » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:00 pm

spike wrote:You should use mfscopy. For the best result, mfscopy your current working drive and expand using mfsadd. Truncated backup and restore is for keeping a minimun copy for emergency situtations.

What does mfsadd do? If you mfscopy from a 160GB to a 500GB drive, what's the difference between running mfsadd or not?
Last edited by stream on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stream

Postby spike » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:17 pm

stream wrote:
spike wrote:You should use mfscopy. For the best result, mfscopy your current working drive and expand using mfsadd. Truncated backup and restore is for keeping a minimun copy for emergency situtations.

What does mfsadd do? If you mfscopy from a 160GB to a 500GB drive, what's the difference between running mfsadd or not?

After you do restore, mfscopy it will ask if you want to expand.
If you say "yes" then it's adding extra capcacity by using mfsadd.

Another application for mfsadd is if you used dd or dd_rescue to make a duplicat copy of your Tivo drive then you can use mfsadd to expand the drive.

If you don't run mfsadd, new drive will retain the same capacity as the source drive.
spike
mfslive

Postby new2tivos » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:21 am

Spike,

What size are you limiting the reserved space to? I have been running my S2.5 unit set to ~500mb for a long time using a script, but was afraid to go any lower. It's great to see this option included in WinMFS, I'm just curious what you limit reserved space to. It looks like my unit has 264MB in there, but I haven't bothered to see what it includes.
new2tivos

Next

Return to WinMFS Support